Revision Guide – Music
EXAM BOARD AND CODE: Pearson 1MU0/03
NUMBER OF PAPERS: 1
LENGTH OF PAPER: 90 minutes
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Black pen (and spare), pencil and eraser
WEBSITE LINK: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Music/2016/specification/Specification_GCSE_L1-L2_in_Music.pdf
Topics to be revised
- Instrumental Music 1700-1820
J S Bach: 3rd movement from Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 in D major
L van Beethoven: 1st movement from Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor ‘Pathetique’
- Vocal Music
H Purcell: Music for a While
Queen: Killer Queen (from the album ‘Sheer Heart Attack’)
- Music for Stage and Screen
S Schwartz: Defying Gravity (from the album of the cast recording of Wicked)
J Williams: Main title / rebel blockade runner (from the soundtrack to Star Wars IV: A New Hope)
- World Music
Afro Celt Sound System: Release (from the album ‘Volume 2: Release)
Esperanza Spalding: Samba Em Preludio (from the album ‘Esperanza’)
- Students will have made detailed notes on all set works, emphasising the key points. We also recommend the Rhinegold Edexcel GCSE Music Revision guide (ISBN 9781785581687), which can be purchased in bookshops or online from musicroom.com
- Students will also been given differentiated revision guides, documents and activities by the music department.
- Spend time listening to the set works in the run up to the exam. A playlist on your phone or mp3 player is a really good idea. All students have been given an anthology CD of all the set works.
- Make sure that you attempt all of the questions.
- Read the question twice and underline the musical terminology you are being asked about. Make specific reference to this terminology in your answer.
- Be aware of the marks available. If there are two marks your answer should have two clear points.
Download a printable version here