The curriculum at King Edward VI School
King Edward VI School is committed to providing a curriculum that is broad, balanced, challenging and fosters a love of learning. We match our curriculum to the abilities, interests and aspirations of our students, to give every child the opportunity to strive for personal excellence. We are an academic school that aims to open doors for every student, and we therefore value the contribution that creative, practical and vocational learning brings to a child’s development alongside the traditional subjects.
Our curriculum aims to complement the Pastoral Care team in order to provide emotional, spiritual and practical support to all students
At the heart of our curriculum lies a respect for the subjects we teach and for the insight that each provides into the world around us. We teach children how to think, how to criticise, how to be active, rather than passive, recipients of information; but each of these skills are taught within the context of the rich knowledge each subject provides. In order to fulfil these ideals our curriculum model requires students to engage with a wide range of subjects in Year 7, 8 & 9 and then provides a more bespoke approach through options in Years 10 and 11.
In all subject areas across the school we aim to have the following common themes:
- Be accessible, engaging and interesting for all students.
- Establish a sense of challenge and aspiration for all learners.
- Develop a passion for learning.
- Be immersive and expansive, widening perspective and challenging viewpoints.
- Provide a firm grounding in knowledge and skills
- Be broad and explore the wider ‘cultural literacy’ within each subject discipline.
- Provide opportunities to test learning and understanding within lessons and across a programme of study.
- Provide future progression opportunities into further areas of study/employment.
The curriculum has been designed with reference to the SEN Code of Practice (2014) and the Equality Act 2010.
We have extensive information about the curriculum we offer on our website:
Further information for parents on how to support your child can be found here.
Please click here for the 2022 Options assembly.