Revision Guide – Economics
EXAM BOARD AND CODE: OCR J205
NUMBER OF PAPERS: 2
LENGTH OF PAPERS: 1 hr 30 mins
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: Alongside normal exam equipment you need a calculator
WEBSITE LINK: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/economics-j205-from-2017/
Topics to be revised
- Know how you are assessed, and what topics
- You should be familiar with the assessment objectives of your course, in particular, the difference between communicating knowledge and understanding: applying knowledge and understanding, analysing and evaluating, and how to demonstrate these skills.
- Popular command words used in the examinations require you to:
- State: Give the facts, ignore minor detail
- Identify: Recognise and briefly describe.
- Calculate; Use the figures provided in the text to work something out, writing down each step of the calculation.
- Explain: Make clear and give reasons; clarify using examples.
- Discuss: Describe different aspects of the subject / present two sides of the argument, and give a reasoned conclusion.
- Assess: Judge how important or successful something is.
- Evaluate: Judge the likely worth / advantages / disadvantages / success – stating why by referring to the evidence available.
- Recommend: Consider the evidence and write down the course of action you consider to be the most appropriate – clearly stating reasons why.
- Practice doing questions in a set time limit. This is absolutely essential.
- Many students have the knowledge and ability to secure high grades but fail due to lack of time. DO NOT let this happen to you – PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!
Recommended course book
- Know the number and structure of questions and time limit.
- For both exams it equals 1 minute per mark.
- Give reasons and provide an explanation.
- Pay close attention to the quality of your written communication on questions marked with an asterisk, eg 2 (b)*.
Download a printable version here